Responding to Blackboard Posts

Responses to Warriors Don't Cry Blackboard Posts

Responses to I Am Not Your Negro Blackboard Posts

Responding to all of students' writing is incredibly important because it establishes a trusting respectful relationship with them. It also reinforces the value that writing is social and meaningful to others. However, this is incredibly time consuming. I think over time I will get faster at responding to student writing, but it will always require focus.

One thing I learned from Professor Gleason's comments on student Blackboard posts is that simply validating student writing can be all that you need to do in a response to a post. Telling a student that they made a good point or that you agree with them can be powerful and makes the student feel heard It also builds up their confidence as they try to transform their informal writing into an essay. I think my tendency as a responder to informal writing or drafts is to immediately respond with suggestions on what to do with the next draft. I think that students can use these action steps and I think I should continue with giving them multiple options of what to consider in their next essay. I want them to see how many possibilities and worthwhile ideas there are in their writing. However, I need to realize that they will not be likely to take these suggestions if I do not validate their efforts at writing first.

I think that I have a few next steps for how I can improve my responses to student writing. One is to look through previous comments Professor Gleason and I made and sort them. I want to create a rubric or checklist of types of comments I could make. I also think that many of these comments could be categorized into lessons on genre of provide ideas for discussion questions. I am also going to review these comments to make guides on how to effectively teach the genres we studied. I am also going to do some research on different ways to comment on student writing in a way that affirms them rather than simply evaluates them. I have some titles on my bookshelf that I am looking forward to reading. I am going to take a look at Writing without Teachers and Writing Alone and with Others by Pat Schneider. I also think that studying ways to affirm student writing will give me ideas for how to coach students to give more specific positive comments during peer review.

Comments