Class #21: Thursday April 19, 2018

My film analysis lesson plan went through many versions throughout the week. Ultimately, it became a discussion guide packet, with key passages, quotes, and images from the film for students to discuss. Though I did not get the opportunity to plan a discussion for the course, I realized I would probably make something very similar to the materials for this lesson in order to prepare to lead a discussion, except I would actually answer my discussion questions.

A River Runs Through It Discussion Guide Packet

Overall, I think this packet was a tremendous resource for the students, but my lesson plan ended up being especially weak for this lesson. My directions were not scripted and I think this was the primary reason that when I went to go actually teach the lesson the students started off by not being on task. I also ran over the lesson time because of this. I learned I need to actually script what I need to say to make my directions clear and get a more accurate estimate of how long different parts of the lesson would take.

Lesson Plan 

I was happy with my decision to add a sheet for reflection questions to this lesson. Unlike my previous lesson on MLA format, I made sure I could get observable data on whether students understood my lesson or not.

Discussion Reflection Sheet

I would definitely make changes to this packet in the future. First, I would make sure to add a cover page with a table of contents. Secondly, I would add headers to every page. Third, I would add page numbers. I think that some of my hard work on the packet (which was a document I was overall pretty pleased with) was overshadowed because it was difficult to navigate.








Comments

  1. Laura, I agree with everything that you say here. You have a strong self-awareness and capacity for self-criticism. You are very honest in your comments on your own strengths and weaknesses. What you need to do in the future is to script out your lesson, take that script into the classroom on an index card, and wear a watch. If you do not complete some part of the lesson within the allotted time, stop that activity anyway and move on to the next thing. Wear a watch. I recommend that you choose a watch with a big face and numbers and a possibly an old-fashioned minute-hand and second hand. Pay attention to time.
    Your handout was terrific. I agree that a table of contents with references to page numbers would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment