Contract for Course Completion
I thought this document was really effective and I noticed that there were significant changes in Juan's attendance and work completion after this. I think that this document does several things.
I thought this document was really effective and I noticed that there were significant changes in Juan's attendance and work completion after this. I think that this document does several things.
- Clarifies student expectations This document makes it clear what Juan had to do and when.
- Documents conference with the student I like that this document summarizes what Professor Gleason and Juan talked about. It protects the instructor for being blamed for an unfair grade.It also simply helps the student remember what the professor said to.
- Provides motivation for the student This is a piece of paper that shows that the student and teacher are on the same page and are both committed to the student's success. I think it is an important reminder to students new to college especially that though their instructor is less involved in their work in college, they still are invested in the students' success.
I have already saved this document as a template for myself for the fall. I am sure it will be useful to have language for this kind of document when I need it, especially since I might be confused and overwhelmed by having a student that is struggling so much.
I'm glad you paid attention to this teaching moment. What I did with Juan can also be done on a smaller scale for less high-stakes situations, such as repeated absence, failure to submit assignments on time, or repeated lateness.
ReplyDelete